Monday, October 22, 2012

Is It a Turkey?

SELF EVALUATION

 

1.     Describe the overall composition of your artwork (balance, unity, rhythm and movement).
       -Potentially an clean, visually interesting print, my scarlet ibis fell flat (quite literally). Clustered and busy, my print loses a sense of simplicity which is needed when creating subtle texture.

2.     How did you add texture and contrast to your print? Is this important? Why?
      - Varying line width and length, I gauged the linoleum to add diversity and depth to my print. Adding texture and contrast helps to add visual clarity to a print, unfortunately my print has minimal contrast, losing the distinction between bird and background. 

3.     Explain how you used positive and negative space to show your image.
     - For my print i wanted to show negative space through the use of a darker colored paint over a light background. The positive space in my print was gauged out, leaving only outlines and shapes.

4.     Describe the craftsmanship of your print. (How good the project is technically crafted
     - I had plenty to gauge out, so my gauging ended up being a little sloppier than anticipated. Being a print making novice, my print was a little too ambitious for me, as is reflected in the final piece.

5.     Were you able to achieve depth by showing a foreground, middle ground and back- ground? Explain.
     -I was loosely able to achieve depth, there is a minor sense of foreground and middle ground, but not much. The bird does come in front of what is meant to be a tree, but behind the bird everything seems a bit lost and flat.

6.     Explain your experience with Printmaking. What were the obstacles and advantages?
     - Needless to say, I don't anticipate making printmaking a career for myself. I like to put a lot of smaller details in my art and during the printmaking process you really have to simplify your piece. I felt a constant struggle between how I wanted the print to look vs. how the print wanted to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment